Pre-Season Girls Basketball Update

Sophie Gebhardt, Journalist

For the 2021 season, the Niwot girls basketball team is hoping to improve on their 2-21 record from last year. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, CHSAA has reorganized the schedule and shortened the season. The new 4-season scheduling puts the girls basketball season in Season B which will start on January 4, with the regular season ending on February 16 and the state finals ending on March 6. The modifications made to the schedule also reduce the maximum number of games to 14. 

At the helm for the Cougars will again be long-time Head Coach Terri Ward who won her 300th game with the Cougars during the 2018-2019 season. Last year Varsity’s offense primarily revolved around 3-point shooting, so it will be interesting to see if this remains a focus for the Cougars. With the loss of some key scorers and ball handlers, Coach Ward will be looking to several returning players to pick up some of the scoring and playmaking to help fill the void. When we spoke to sophomore returning starter Addy Ruth, she told us, “I’m super excited for this season and I know my teammates are as well. We’re really hoping we can all come together and improve from where we were last season and really create a tight-knit community within the team. Although there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this season, I’m grateful that we are able to have a season at all.” Ruth’s feelings of excitement about the upcoming season are definitely reflected amongst the rest of her teammates, especially those who play other sports that were cancelled last year because of the pandemic.

As with all sports during the global pandemic, the team hopes to have an uninterrupted season. However, preseason workouts were already curtailed due to a rise in COVID-19 cases and public health restrictions. It is sure to be a season unlike any other.