Season Recap: Boys Soccer

Cayden Justice (she/her), Reporter

While the Niwot Boys’ soccer team exited this year’s 4A state championships earlier than they may have hoped or expected, a short four months after last year’s semi final loss to Windsor, the team showed promise, motivation, and grit throughout the entirety of the season. 

Because of COVID, last year’s sports seasons were scrambled, placing boys’ soccer in March and April of last spring. Thankfully, this year school sports have returned to their normal seasons. However, that left boys’ soccer with a tight four month turnaround, hardly enough time to restructure and rebuild a team with a new roster. 

Niwot made a good showing despite the difficult timing. They finished 4th in the Longs Peak League, losing only two league games and earning themselves a spot in the 4A playoffs. Standout Senior Azael Marrufo contributed heavily to this success, scoring 18 goals over the course of the season. Marrufo also led the team in assists, compiling 8 over the season. 

Success in soccer means each player doing their job and contributing all over the field, whether on offense or defense. Luckily, Niwot has a deep roster heavily consisting of Sophomores and Juniors that have had plenty of exposure to tough competition in the last two years. While their loss in Colorado Springs in the second round of the playoffs stung, it is clear that Niwot’s boys’ soccer team has a bright future. With plenty of motivation coming off this past season and a full year ahead to build upon the talent they have in their underclassmen (maybe picking up some new talent), they will be poised to exceed expectations in the coming years.