Success in the Swim Lanes: A Recap of the Girls Swim Season

Jamie Legh (she/her), Reporter

After a successful season, girls swimming has come to an end. The Lady Cougars had a stellar season, winning 5 out of 6 dual meets, as well as conference, and finally placing a very close 5th at State Championships. 

Next year the team will suffer a devastating blow after losing senior Mary Covedilla as she continues her academic and athletic career at Notre Dame this fall. Codevilla wrapped up her phenomenal high school career with her 6th and 7th individual state titles, 2nd state record, winning the coaches vote for 4A Swimmer of the Year, and helping her relay to two 2nd place finishes behind Heritage who will return to compete in the 5A classification once again next year. Codevilla will go down as not only the best swimmer in Niwot history, but also one of the greatest ever high school girls swimmers in the State of Colorado. She will be missed for not only her presence in the pool, but as a teammate, a friend, a leader and an inspiration to all. 

Jamie Legh finished off her season with some hardware. During the season, Legh lost only one event to U of Virginia commit Emma Weber, but remained undefeated in the 100 fly and 100 back until state where she was happy to finish with 4 runner up performances in the 100 fly, 100 back, 200 free relay and 400 free relay. She is  a Junior and is looking forward to leading the team next season. 

Charlotte Heuer and Steph Mow also joined Codevilla and Legh on these runner up relays, which both gained All American qualifying times. Heuer placed 15th in the 200 IM and 5th in the 100 free, and since she is only a sophomore the team is excited to see what she can do in the next 2 years. Mow placed 13th in the 50 free and was a part of the 10th place 200 Medley Relay. She was willing to sacrifice an individual event, as you can only swim 4 events total, to help score as many points as possible by being on a third relay. Rowan Lavigne, Juliana Strope and Mackenzie Simon were also on the relay with Mow. Lavigne individually placed 18th in the 100 breaststroke and Strope placed 17th. 

Moving forward the Cougars are going to have to be a true team; hey definitely have the talent and culture to maximize their potential and we can’t wait to see what they can achieve in the coming seasons.

(All photos by Cayden Justice)